A compensation settlement of £47,500 has been awarded to the family of a Devonshire man who had been exposed to asbestos in the workplace and subsequently died of an asbestos-related disease.
Donald Bracher had worked on and off for a firm in Barnstaple for much of his working life. His work often involved cutting windows in fire doors that were lined with asbestos. He frequently worked alone in a small workshop. The room had little ventilation and the air would become heavy with asbestos dust.
Despite the known dangers posed by working with asbestos, the company gave Mr Bracher no warning that the work was hazardous. It also failed to provide him with any safety equipment, nor was he given a protective mask.
Mr Bracher’s son, Kenneth, said that his father began suffering from breathlessness, the main symptom of asbestosis, in 2003. He died five years later at the age of 76.
Kenneth Bracher brought a claim against his father’s former employer, which has since passed into new ownership. The original company’s insurers agreed to pay the family damages of £47,500 for the pain and suffering caused.