freephone: 0800 954 0243

Housing Disrepair

Housing Disrepair

Claims against landlords: Mould, defective appliances, water damage and more can create dangerous and un-liveable conditions. Your council, housing association or landlord is obligated to ensure your accommodation is free from disrepair.  Claims against cavity wall installers: Incorrectly installed cavity wall insulation can also lead to disrepair including mould and dampness.

Examples of Housing Disrepair

  • Mould, fungus or dampness
  • Leaks, flooding or water damage
  • Cracks
  • Defective roofing or gutters
  • Defective boiler
  • Defective windows and doors
  • Defective brickwork
  • Defective or dangerous electrical wiring
  • Insect infestation


Are you eligible?

Why contact Irvings?

  • We offer a FREE initial meeting.
  • We’ll come and visit you for a chat if you can’t make it to our office.
  • No financial risk for you with our no-win-no-fee promise.
  • Insurance protection against all legal costs or disbursements.
  • We have fully qualified solicitors who specialise in housing disrepair claims.
  • You’ll pay absolutely nothing if we lose.
  • You will keep a minimum of 75% of any compensation if you win.

Case Study

9 year old Sam was living in a rented property with her parents and siblings. When they moved in the carpet was in a poor state. Their landlord said to rip it up and the carpet would be replaced. After doing so, Sam’s mother called a few times to ask when it would be done and warn that the floorboards were loose. Nothing was done. Sam tripped on a floorboard and fell onto a protruding nail, causing a gash to her knee.

The landlord denied that they were told of the problem and even denied Sam’s family were in the property at the time of the incident; even saying her family had left the property in a very poor state. We issued proceedings against the landlord and got statements from neighbours to confirm that they were in the property. We sent the statements to the landlord who originally rejected our first offer to settle, but eventually a figure was agreed which included damages for Sam’s injuries and the deposit money paid by her mum which had been withheld when they left the property.

Have a question for May?

May Atkinson, our specialist in housing disrepair, is a good starting place to assess your case and to get the ball rolling with claiming the compensation to which you may be entitled. You can contact her directly using the details below or, alternatively, use the fast track ‘Can I Claim?’ button at the top and bottom of this page. There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain.

T: 0800 954 0243
freephone: 0800 954 0243
| Website designed & hosted by Cyberfrog Design